Executive Associate Dean
Dr. Alan Sams has served as Executive Associate Dean in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences since 2009. He provides day-to-day oversight and operational guidance for the College, while coordinating the with university and the agriculture agencies on academic, budgeting and programmatic efforts.
Prior to his current appointment, Dr. Sams served for two years as Dean of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences at Clemson University in South Carolina. Before that, he pursued a 20-year career in the College, rising from assistant professor in poultry science in 1987 to professor in 1999 and head of the Poultry Science Department.
Dr. Sams served as interim head during the successful launch of the new Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences. He also helped build international programs and outreach in the Department of Poultry Science, including supporting numerous study-abroad programs and organizing an annual international poultry conference in Mexico over a span of eight years.
Dr. Sams earned a doctorate in food science and human nutrition in 1987, a master’s in poultry science in 1984, and a bachelor’s degree in poultry science and food and resource economics in 1982, all from the University of Florida.
- Serve as the chief operating officer of the College
- Coordinate with other TAMU Colleges, the TAMU central administration, and Texas A&M AgriLife agencies
- Coordinate and oversee College-level
- international programs
- faculty promotion and tenure
- Oversee departmental operations
- Assist Vice Chancellor and Dean on College strategic initiatives
- Supervise College office and staff
Agriculture and Life Sciences Building
600 John Kimbrough Boulevard, Suite 515
College Station, TX 77843