Awards Deadlines | AGLS 125 Instructors | Responsible Conduct of Research Training
Watch for the next monthly issue of the College Update in early July. We wish you an excellent start to the summer!
Dean’s Team Updates
Open Office Hours
Dr. Jeffrey Savell and Dr. Patricia Klein will resume hosting Open Office Hours after the summer. In the meantime, please contact Kelsey Agnew with any questions regarding Open Office Hours.
Upcoming Awards Deadlines
- Association of Former Students – College Level Teaching Award, due Friday, June 9.
- Norman Borlaug Field Award, due Thursday, June 15.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, due Friday, June 30.
Promotion and Tenure
- Weekly Zoom Hour with P&T Chairs and Staff, Wednesdays 2-3 p.m.
Academic Affairs Highlights
- Due to the large number of incoming students in fall 2023, we are adding additional sections of our first-year experience course, AGLS 125. We need a few extra instructors to help incoming students through their transition to college. This is a great experience for faculty, staff and graduate students alike. Instructors receive a $500 bursary that may be used for professional development. If interested, please contact Dr. Jenna Kurten.
- Know an underrepresented minority undergraduate in a STEM major who is interested in research? The LSAMP Scholar, Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation, program is accepting students by application.
- Barnes and Noble Book Adoptions: Go to the Textbook Adoption and Insights Portal to inform the bookstore of the resource needs for your course(s).
- Texas A&M University Libraries are holding workshops supporting curriculum and research. Go to the libraries’ events page for the full schedule.
- Summer and fall 2023 course shells are now available in Canvas in an unpublished state. The deadlines to merge course sections through the self-service feature in ORCA are:
- Summer II courses: Saturday, July 1, 11:59 p.m.
- Fall 2023 courses: Wednesday, Aug. 16, 11:59 p.m.
- Faculty and staff: If you work in a support role for graduate and professional students, stay informed by subscribing to the Graduate Advisors Listserv.
- Texas A&M University Graduate and Professional School
- Academic Deadlines and Dates: Stay up to date! Visit the Grad School Calendar, the Grad School’s Dates and Deadlines information page, International Student important dates, and the University Academic Calendar for information about upcoming dates and deadlines.
- Graduate and Professional School contact list.
- New graduate student orientation dates for fall 2023: Monday, Aug. 14 and Friday, Aug. 18.
- Responsible Conduct of Research, RCR, training:
- Learn about your RCR responsibilities.
- Learn about and link to TAMU CITI training.
- Sign up for virtual and in-person RCR workshops.
- Graduate Mentoring Academy: See the Texas A&M GradConnect page for session schedules and to register.
- Graduate student travel: Need additional funding support for travel for conferences or research? Check out the RAP Travel Award at Texas A&M.
- Graduate student well-being
- The MySSP student support app allows students to text, call, and video chat with professional counselors.
- Texas A&M Counseling and Psychological Services, CAPS, is offering events focused on mental health for graduate and professional students. Click here for the schedule.
- Dr. Esther Wright at CAPS is trained in graduate student issues and concerns. Graduate and professional students may make appointments with Dr. Wright via the CAPS appointment portal system.
- Graduate Resources and Development for Aggies, G.R.A.D. Aggies, offers professional development programming. For more information, visit the G.R.A.D. Aggies webpage.
- Prospective students can register for an information session and a tour of west campus at visit.tamu.edu.
- 2023-2024 officers of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Student Council, COALS Council:
- President: Miles Huffhines
- Vice President of Finance: Cooper Ford
- Vice President of Leadership: Brittley Bowers
- Vice President of Service: Zachary Hoelscher
- Vice President of Programs: Caden Carver
- Vice President of Public Relations: Anna Hiser
- Follow us on social media!
- Facebook: Texas A&M College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Student Council
- Instagram: @coals_tamu
- Website: www.tamucoalscouncil.com
Save the Date
The Gardens’ Fifth Birthday Celebration
Saturday, June 3, 9-11:30 a.m.
The Gardens at Texas A&M University is marking its fifth birthday on Saturday, June 3 with a party from 9–11:30 a.m. during its annual Summer Celebration. Festivities will include face painting, a scavenger hunt, a bubble station, a coloring station and crafts, all centered around bird- and hummingbird-themed activities.
AgriLife Intranet Update
Professional service units are now on the AgriLife Intranet!
To log in and access forms, announcements and other resources on the intranet, AGLS and most AgriLife employees should use their AgNet credentials. Texas A&M Forest Service employees should use their TAMFS account credentials, and SVMBS employees should use their Texas A&M NetID account credentials.
- LinkedIn Learning resources are free to all Texas A&M AgriLife employees. Some courses to check out this month:
- Online courses on communication, customer service, diversity and inclusion, performance management, safety and technology are available from the Texas A&M University Division of Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness.
AgriLife Employee Wellness
- Work/life solutions are available to Texas A&M AgriLife employees, including professional and personal training resources, through ComPsych GuidanceResources.
- Website: http://www.guidanceresources.com.
- WEBID: TAMUS.
Our Mission in Action
Visit AgriLife Today to read about faculty, staff and student accomplishments in research, teaching and service!
Have a story idea for AgriLife Today? Reach out to Texas A&M AgriLife and Communications.
Help us make this newsletter as useful as possible. Share your feedback in a five-minute online survey.
Review previous months’ newsletters.